News and views from the award-winning author of the novels The Skinny Years, America Libre, House Divided and Pancho Land

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Etch A Sketch Candidate


The lore of politics is rich with sound bytes that, usually for the worse, defined political careers.

Al Gore was tagged with the claim he invented the internet.
Bush The First was derided for saying "Read my lips. No new taxes."
John Kerry never lived down: "I was for it before I was against it."
Alexander Haig became infamous for "I'm in control here."
Dan Quayle was lambasted with the zinger, "You're no Jack Kennedy."

Today, we may have seen a new sound byte added to that canon. It was contributed by Mitt Romney aide Eric Fehrnstrom on CNN after he was asked whether Mr. Romney would move more toward the center in a general election. To which  Fehrnstrom  answered:

"Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign. Everything changes. It's like an Etch A Sketch. You can shake it up and we start all over again."

And there you have it. Mitt Romney the Etch A Sketch Candidate.

It will be curious to see if it sticks. I'm betting it will.

Raul Ramos y Sanchez

No comments: